Sewing

Make a Coiled Bowl using Fabric Scraps

12:02:00 theskyisstarless 0 Comments

I think every sewing enthusiast has a box or bag full of a variety of leftover scraps of fabric. I've hoarded every scrap which I could possibly use, however tiny. I'm always looking on pinterest for new ways to use up all these scraps, mainly to clear up space but also because I'm scared my mum will finally realise what I'm using all the boxes in the attic for and throw them out. I found this tutorial for coiled fabric coasters which I adapted to make loads of coasters to use on my decoupage table and to take to uni with me. These worked so well that I decided to sew two bowls. I made a large one and a smaller one. I placed the larger one on my table and I keep the smaller one by my bed to put my earrings in.
You make the bowls in pretty much the same way as you make the coasters. I first gathered together loads of fabric, I chose a variety of colours and textures to give my coasters and bowls an eclectic and boho vibe. You will also need a length of washing line. I chose fabric covered plastic washing line which I picked up cheaply at Boyes. Cut strips of around 1 inch width from your fabric, I had very varying lengths because they were just scraps. You might recognise some of this fabric from my Merchant and Mills dresses. Start sewing the strips together. I simply sewed a straight stitch to join the ends together, reversing to secure. I chose a red coloured thread for this bowl as many of my strips of fabric were red. 
Begin wrapping the fabric around the end of the clothesline. You want to make sure that the end doesn't come loose, try to wrap so that the end is tucked inside the coiled fabric. 
Continue wrapping until about 30 cm of the clothes line is covered. Secure the end of the fabric to the line with a clip.
Fold over the end of the fabric covered clothes line by about an inch and sew with a zig zag stitch to secure this end. Start to coil the line around this end, you want to coil clockwise so that the bulk of the bowl won't get trapped under your sewing machine.
Continue sewing and coiling. When you run out of fabric, pause to wrap more fabric around the line. 
When your base is the size you want begin tilting the base so that you get a curved bowl shape. The amount that you tilt your base will depend on how steep you want the sides of your bowl to be. 

As you reach the end of your clothes line, wrap the end of the fabric around the end of the clothes line as you did at the start and sew to secure to the bowl. Backstitch to secure.
 Neaten up your bowl by trimming any loose threads.
These bowls are so useful and surprisingly easy. They look super impressive but are perfect for beginners. I love how unique they are and how cheap they are to make. I will definitely be making more as I still have so many scraps of fabric. I would love to see your photos on instagram and pinterest and would love to hear how you use your leftover scraps of fabric.

Love Rhiannon x


You Might Also Like

0 Comments: