Sewing

Three Metres, Three Ways

15:09:00 theskyisstarless 0 Comments

I'm a big believer in that if something is cheap, bulk-buy it. I recently bought 3 metres of green French linen from my local fabric barn in order to make a dress for my mum and something with the left over fabric. I ended up having enough material to make a dress, a skirt and a top-with enough to make a small purse with the left-over scraps.

I used the majority of the fabric to make this simple dress using the Camber Set Pattern (mentioned in a previous blog post). It is the perfect fabric for a dress like this. It doesn't fray when you are trying to make the neckline and is light enough that it fits nicely around the body.

I also made this top using a pattern from the Great British Sewing Bee Book. However, when I tried it on I found that it was slightly too tight across my shoulders. I do have naturally broad shoulders but I think the main problem was that I had used the wrong kind of material. It was a pattern designed for a soft silk or chiffon but my material was just not stretchy enough. I decided to cut a small triangle in the front and face it, binding the neckline as specified in the instructions. I then attached some ribbon to give it a vintage feel. 
For my third project I wanted to make a skirt. I've made a pleated skirt, a circle skirt, and an elasticated skirt but I wanted to try something a bit different. I stumbled across this great tutorial on making wrap skirts and gave it a go. It is super easy and quick and, in this fabric, makes a very smart and elegant skirt. I'm looking forward to making this in a lighter material and creating more volume by using a longer length of fabric. 
 I couldn't quite believe that I managed to create 3 items of clothing out of 3 metres of fabric. I am always ending up with half a metre of fabric after a project and wishing that I had an extra half so that I could make something more interesting than a tote bag or purse.

I hope you've been inspired to make the most of your fabric.

Love Rhiannon x

You Might Also Like

0 Comments: