Cooking

A Vegetarian Japanese-Inspired Three Course Meal

10:05:00 the_sky_is_starless 0 Comments

Since I've been stuck at home recently, I've been cooking more frequently. I've been cooking a three course meal once a week. So far I've cooked a Thai meal , a full tapas spread and an Italian meal with homemade fresh pasta. This week I decided to make a Japanese meal, mainly because my sister kept going on about how much she craved sushi. I trawled the internet for recipes, bought the ingredients and started cooking.

For starters we had sushi with a side of edamame bean salad. This was my first time making sushi so I ended up with a box of 'failures'. These still got eaten though. I followed the instructions on the back of the sushi rice packet to make the sushi rice. I cooked the rice and then mixed it with about 30 ml of rice wine vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. I then chopped up my vegetables- I used avocado, cucumber, asparagus and red pepper. I made two different types of sushi. I used this helpful tutorial to make some inside out rolls, sprinkling the rice with some sesame seeds. I also made some basic sushi. These are the ones which turned out okay, I think I still need much more practice though.


I used this recipe to make some edamame salad but I added some fresh chilli instead of chilli flakes. These were really popular with my family. I put them down on the table and when I came back they had all gone. They were also super easy to make. You cook the edamame beans, I used pre-shelled, and make the dressing. I made them a couple of hours before the meal and just put them in the fridge until we were ready to eat.


For the main course I made some Yasai Yakisoba using this recipe by Vegan Richa. I marinated some tofu in a mix of hoisin sauce and soya sauce for a couple of hours and also soaked some dried shiitake mushrooms. The vegetables were super easy to prepare and I liked the idea of having both a dressing and a sauce to have a mix of different flavours within the meal. I used half the amount of noodles because my family likes the noodle to vegetable ratio to be roughly half. It was very tasty especially with the marinated tofu and crunchy beansprouts.


I found it quite hard to find Japanese desserts which didn't involve glutinous rice flour. I stumbled across a recipe for Japanese cheesecake which sounded much healthier than the cheesecake I'm used to and which looked like a light and summery dessert to finish the meal. I used this recipe which provided lots of helpful tips and tricks. I was very surprised when it didn't sink and had a perfectly flat top because I don't have a very good relationship with my oven. My mum picked up some strawberries from the farm shop and we had it with whipped cream and glasses of wine. It was very different to anything I've ever tasted but it was delicious. It was so light and fluffy that we managed to eat the whole thing between us with another one left in the fridge for this weekend.


I hope you've been inspired to make your own Japanese-inspired vegetarian meal. Let me know in the comments.

Love Rhiannon x




You Might Also Like

0 Comments: