Baking

Let's Bake...Rhubarb and Custard Cake

10:37:00 theskyisstarless 0 Comments

I've somehow become the chief cake-maker in my family so every birthday I have to make the cake. I was spared making my own 18th birthday cake by my mother's attempt at making a champagne cake. Although it tasted incredible, it was one of the ugliest cakes I've ever seen. For my dad's 50th birthday I decided to make a rhubarb and custard cake using the recipe from the Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook which is one of my favourite recipe books. My dad grows his own rhubarb and rhubarb crumble and custard is a favourite in our family. You can check out the full recipe by buying the book. I adapted it by making it into a circular layer cake and mixing the rhubarb in rather than layering it within the cake.


To prepare the rhubarb:


Cut a stick of rhubarb into finger-length pieces and place in a roasting dish. Sprinkle over 15g of sugar and place into a preheated oven at 200 °C. Roast until soft which will take around 15 minutes.









To make the cake:

Ingredients:


  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 200g self-raising flour



Method:
  • Mix as you would to make a normal sponge cake.
  • Fold in the rhubarb. 
  • Pour into two lined circular cake tins.
  • Bake for around 40 minutes in a 180 °C oven until an inserted skewer is clean.
  • Cool the cakes.


To make the frosting:
  • First prepare a small amount of custard. I just used instant custard to get a stronger custard flavour but you could make a more traditional custard.

Ingredients: 


  • 200g full-fat cream cheese
  • 100g butter
  • 130g icing sugar.





Method:

  • Mix the frosting ingredients. Then add the custard and beat until there are no lumps. I left mine in the fridge for about an hour until it had thickened.










To make the topping:

The topping is simply caramelised rhubarb. Caramelise thin pieces of rhubarb in 100 g caster sugar and a small amount of water. Spread onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave to cool. 

To assemble the cake:

Sandwich the cakes with frosting and cover the cake with the rest of the frosting. Top with the caramelised rhubarb. I grated some chocolate on top and added some gold sprinkles because it looked a bit like the cake was topped with seaweed. The finished cake looked like this.

It definitely isn't the most beautiful cake I've ever made but it tasted incredible, especially with the caramelised rhubarb on top. It doesn't really matter how the cake looks in our family because it will get eaten up regardless. We stuck some candles in the top because it was my dad's birthday and everyone had seconds.

Happy Baking!

Love Rhiannon x

You Might Also Like

0 Comments: