Sewing

Refashion: Men's Shirt into Skirt

15:25:00 theskyisstarless 0 Comments

I love refashioning things- I've made dresses from scarves, cardigans from jumpers and skirts from dresses. I kept seeing all these men's shirt refashions on Pinterest and when my mum gave me a stack of my dad's old shirts I knew that I had to try one. I refashioned this shirt into a skirt.


I chose this GAP gingham shirt with strange green stains on it. I knew that I wanted to make a skirt which still resembled a shirt. I started by chopping off the sleeves and the back yoke.


The pocket was in the wrong place to incorporate it into the design so I unpicked it.


I then cut along from the bottom of the sleeves all the way around.


I measured around my waist and then cut a waistline from the top scrap material. I kept the shirt buttoned up and then cut so that a button would be centred on my waistband. I ended up with two waistband pieces of length waist measurement plus 1 inch and width of two inches. 



From the sleeves I cut two equally sized pieces. I also cut two pieces of fusible interfacing. I attached the two outer pieces right sides together along with the lining and sewed along the edges with 1/2 inch seam allowance to create a long strip. I did the same with the pieces cut from the sleeves and then pinned the two strips together and sewed along the edge leaving the ends open.


I then turned this strip inside out and pressed along the edges well. The openings were then slip-stitched closed. I edge stitched along the edge of the waistband.


I folded and pinned some pleats in the main body of the skirt so that it was the same length as the waistband. I then sewed along the top to secure the pleats. I pinned the waistband and the skirt right sides together and sewed along the top. 






I slip stitched the seam down, pressed and cut off any loose threads.


I'm really happy with how this skirt turned out. I wear it with a black crop-top, ankle-boots, and my faux-leather jacket.  I hope this has inspired you to refashion some of your old clothes and give them new life.

Love Rhiannon x

You Might Also Like

0 Comments: